Vernon Parish School Board
Phase 3 Reopening Plan
As Louisiana moves into Phase 3, the Vernon Parish School Board shares its plan for transitioning to these new guidelines.
Schools in Vernon Parish will reopen on Monday, September 14th, with the exception of Hicks, North Polk, and Pitkin. These schools are expected to open later in the week.
Reopening Phase 3: Instructional Program
- The blended A/B days for high school students will be suspended after Friday, September 18, 2020. They will return to 5 days of face-to-face instruction beginning Monday, September 21.
- The 100% virtual experience is still an option for all students K-12.
- All classrooms will maintain social distancing to the maximum extent possible.
- Grades PK-2 will be in static groups (stay in the same room/grouping throughout the day).
- Grades 3-6 group compositions may change if students are able to maintain a physical distance of at least six feet from other students and adults in a classroom or indoor setting, to the maximum extent possible.
- Grades 7-12 will be allowed to transition between classes throughout the day with precautions.
- Band and vocal music may resume with physical distance recommendations in effect.
Reopening Phase 3: Transportation
- Buses are limited to 75% of bus capacity. We will maintain social distancing on the bus.
- Children from the same household will be able to sit together on the bus.
- Families are encouraged to carpool.
- Students must wear face coverings/masks while riding the bus.
- Weather permitting, windows will be lowered to increase ventilation on the bus.
- Please notify your child’s schools if your child intends to begin riding the school bus to and/or from school.
Reopening Phase 3: Transition
In order to allow Food Service, Transportation, and Schools to adequately prepare for new guidelines, Vernon Parish Public Schools will officially move into Phase 3 starting Monday, September 21, 2020.
Reopening Phase 3: Health and Safety
- Students and employees who exhibit symptoms of sickness are encouraged to stay home. A list of potential symptoms can be found here.
- Anyone living with someone what has tested positive for COVID must quarantine according to CDC Guidelines.
- All employees and students will have his/her temperature checked upon arrival.
- Classrooms will be set up to maximize social distancing, including an area from which the teacher is expected to teach.
- Students in 3rd grade and up must wear masks; younger students should wear masks as appropriate.
- Cloth masks are recommended. Parents should consider this part of your child’s uniform. Masks will be required to board school buses. Masks are not to be distracting. The CDC does not recommend the use of “neck gaiters.”
- Groups larger than 50 should be avoided at all times in Phase 3.
- Water fountains are being fitted with accessories to accommodate health and safety guidelines – students may not self-serve at water fountains at this time. It is recommended that students bring their own water bottles at this time.
- Visitors to campuses will be limited; temperature checks and masks will be required.
- Posting of COVID-19 signage.
- Certification of non-exposure/infection sign-in.
- All classroom, restroom, and common-touch surfaces will be sanitized according to guidelines.
Reopening Phase 3: Athletics
- Contact sport and activities are allowed to resume in Phase 3. For a complete list of athletics guidance, please see the LHSAA released guidance. LHSAA has provided updated guidance for fall sports.
- Outdoor and indoor spectator capacity for LHSAA-sanctioned athletics shall be set in accordance with the Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s guidelines developed in conjunction with the Office of the Governor and the Louisiana Department of Health at opensafely.la.gov.
- Schools will pre-sell tickets for each event and sell tickets for remaining capacity as available at the gate.
- Appropriate COVID precautions will be enforced for all events.
- More information will be provided as released by the LHSAA and the office of the Governor.
Reopening Phase 3: Band
- All band/vocal/music activities may resume indoors or outdoors. Group sizes are limited to 50 (indoors). Appropriate physical distancing measures must be taken.
Hurricane Laura Reopening Update
- All Vernon Parish Schools with the exception of Hicks, North Polk, and Pitkin will begin on September 14.
- These 3 schools are expected to reopen later in the week.